Sunday, November 12, 2006

Leisurely reading


What's wrong with this picture?


Actually, nothing. But I have something to say about what's in it that would be odd if the same scene took place in my country, the Philippines (particularly in the capital, Manila).

You don't leave your bike lying around like that outside your house. For example, let's say you're right in front of your house and ready to pedal to your destination, and then you realize that you left your wallet in your room. If you park the bike on the sidewalk and run into the house to get your money, the bike would've vanished with a very happy new owner by the time you get back out three minutes later.

That being said, this photo accompanies a nice story called "Return of the paperboy," not at all new but one of those which I bookmarked because it's a pleasant read. Suffice it to say, as a kid I nurtured feelings of wanting to have my own paper route but that doesn't happen to people in my country unless they or their families are close to living a hand-to-mouth kind of existence. My family has been fortunate in that respect so my making extra money by delivering newspapers would have robbed someone else of the chance to earn a little extra when he needed it more than I did.

Read "Return of the paperboy," and then go on to "Off to the beach with a Volkswagen -- and Grandma," another piece you're bound to enjoy (especially if you're reading this on a weekend).

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...