Saturday, February 24, 2007

Cents and sensibility

Several weeks ago, I blogged about pooches. Actually, there was nothing much to say, just photos of cute puppies that I wanted to post after I had discovered The Daily Puppy. I was also contemplating on writing about an experience I had at the Riverbanks mall's supermarket, but not feeling up to it, I settled for some eye candy instead (the pups).

Well, I remembered that supermarket experience again and it's as a good a time as any to relate it.

After picking up a few things for a Friday night's scheduled date with HBO, I headed for the cashier. She swiped the assortment of potato chips and fish crackers, then punched the keys on her cash register while I rummaged through my bag to get my wallet. She then said the amount due out loud (let's say it was P35. 50).

"P35.50, ma'am."

As I snapped open my wallet to get some bills, I happened to glance at the bar bearing the amount and saw that it wasn't P35.50 but P35. 40. And here's what I did: nothing.

I think I was too stunned to say anything, stunned that a cashier would purposely give the customer an amount to be paid without reading the exact amount registered on her machine. I've encountered being given candy many times over the years for the lack of coins for change. Some cashiers have the courtesy to tell the customer that there's no small change so "okay lang ho? kulang ng 10 centavos..." One time it was 25 centavos that was due me and when the cashier asked me if that was ok, I gave a flat-out "no." I guess it was exasperation that prompted me not to simply give in and to add "kung kulang ng barya, dapat hindi yung customer ang makukulangan," before leaving.

This time, the cashier was taking things into her own hands and "solving the problem" herself by asking the customer to shell out an amount that was more than what the cash register indicated. Unfortunately, my surprise had me giving her what she asked for, but after getting my shopping bag I headed straight to the customer service counter and related what happened. "It may be just 10 centavos but she's not supposed to change the amount that registers on her machine. Your establishment should have the coins you need and customers shouldn't be asked to pay extra. If the cashier does that to every customer, that amounts to big money, and I wouldn't want to shop her anymore if you don't do something about it."

I've forgotten the customer service attendant's reply but he did note the cashier number (I was sure to supply him with that information). "Please brief your cashiers about this," I added.

After that I couldn't help but think that the potential beginnings of corruption crop up everywhere, not just in government. If people would take care of the little things, some problems wouldn't even be there to start with.

In the meantime, I've made it a point to save the few 5 and 10 centavo coins I accumulate in my wallet. I figure I'd better do my part as well. =)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The last paragraph. Is the wisest move.

sunnyday said...

Well, I agree. Still, I'd like it if establishments did their part and took the word "service" more seriously. =)

AsianSmiles said...

it happens a lot.

having "change" is the merchant's "responsibility" and cancelling an order or a purchase because the merchant cannot give exact change is the buyer's privilege.

and then again.. "running out of change" is different from "not having change"... first is inefficiency and the latter is....*wink*

Anonymous said...

"A penny saved is a penny earned..." that saying came to mind as I read your post today.

We all must hold each other to account.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...