Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Of ribbons and trees

Not much time for blogging these days, but I did mention the song Tie A Yellow Ribbon a while back and how the story behind it always moves me to tears. Here it is --

A New York City newspaper carried the story of a group of young people traveling by bus on a holiday trip to Florida. Not long after leaving, they noticed a dark-skinned, middle-aged man, poorly dressed, and looking quite worried as he sad slouched in his seat, head down.

When the bus pulled in at a roadside fast food stop, everyone got out except Vingo, as the young people had named him. The youngsters were curious about him: where had he come from? Where was he going? Finally, one of the girls sat next to him and said, “We’re going to Florida, would you like some of my Coke?”

He took a few swallows and said, “Thank you.” After a while he told his story.

He had been in a New York prison for four years. “While I was away, I wrote to my wife and told her I’d be away for a long time. And if she couldn’t take it, she should just forget about me. I told her not to bother writing; and she never did.” Then he added, “She’s a wonderful woman, really good, really something.”

“And now you’re going home not knowing what to expect, is that it?” the girl asked.

“Yes,” he replied, “you see, last week when my parole came through, I wrote to her again. I told her I would be coming on this bus. You will see when we come into Jacksonville where we live, that there’s a big oak tree. I told her that if she’d take me back, she could tie a yellow ribbon on the tree and I’d get off the bus and come home. If she didn’t want me, forget it. No ribbon and I’d keep going.”

The girl told the others and soon they were all involved, looking at pictures of Vingo’s wife and children and all getting more anxious and nervous as they approached Jacksonville.

There was a hushed mood in the bus. Vingo’s face tightened. Then suddenly all of the young people were up out of their seats, screaming and shouting, crying and dancing, all except Vingo. He just sat there stunned, looking at the oak tree. It was covered with yellow ribbons, twenty or thirty of them. The oak tree had been turned into one big welcome banner. As the young people shouted, Vingo rose from his seat, made his way to the front of the bus, smiled back at his young friends through a flood of tears, and got off.

Remember this story the next time you hear someone playing or singing the song Tie a Yellow Ribbon ‘Round the Old Oak Tree.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year sunny! thanks for posting this story, it's very inspiring.

sarah asnsmls

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...