Saturday, July 08, 2006

Beyond eye-patched sea robbers

Last weekend, three days after Superman Returns opened in Manila theaters, a friend and I met up at a mall, planning to watch the flick. We stood in line for about half an hour, exchanging stories as the long and winding queue moved at snail's pace. Finally, after calculating our chances of getting tickets within an hour (slim to none), we opted to go window-shopping instead.

I still haven't had a chance to see the movie, but anyway my attention has been on another one. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest will be opening here soon, and it's yet another I'm adding to my list of must-see movies. I didn't pay attention to the first of the three-part story, partly because I assumed it was just one of those swashbuckling action films about ... pirates. Then it was shown on the Disney channel and I realized I had missed what seemed like a good comedy (and much more).

Then I came across this interesting review of Dead Man's Chest --


In Peril of Our Souls: Theological Considerations from Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

Analysis by Dr. Marc T. Newman
MovieMinistry.com
July 7, 2006

[...]

What makes all of the Pirates of the Caribbean films stand out from your average swashbuckler is that these movies are not primarily concerned with treasure maps and buried doubloons. As The Curse of the Black Pearl demonstrated, no amount of tainted gold is worth the soul-destroying effects of the curse. Dead Man's Chest never even pretends to be about the more mundane aspects of pirating. From the beginning of the film the story arc centers on souls as the most valuable trading commodity. As Pintel and Regetti, two of the pirates from the first film who were saved from ghastly immortality, are rowing for shore, Regetti tells his partner that now that they are mortal again, "We've got to take care of our immortal soul." Truer words you will not find spoken, even in more serious films.


Full review at American Family Association Online

1 comment:

Reel Fanatic said...

I, too, am very excited about "Pirates 2", which I'll finally be going to see later today .. thanks for posting the review!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...