Sunday, June 04, 2006

There's hope after all

I'm posting some light and entertaining reads first because the last of my posts for today is not exactly what most would relish dwelling on during the weekend. They're updates about life issues, some of them not good at all. In fact, some are downright disgusting and, for me, quite exasperating. It's safe to conclude that fighting to normalize perversion is what some people are out to accomplish. Good thing that despite such moves, many aren't fooled and continue the efforts to uphold authentic truth, good and beauty in society.

So, put your feet up as you read this amusing (and positive) essay by a very observant grandma:


A lesson from a teenager: Maybe the next generation really is OK
It was a classic case of older-generation hand-wringing and worry over nothing

By Penelope S. Duffy

I have grown children and a 3-year-old grandson. My contact with teenagers consists mostly of conversations that include "Is that for here or to go?"

Usually, the exchange goes something like this. Me, slowly and with emphasis: "I'd like a 16-ounce, sugar-free, skim milk vanilla latte, to go."

They say, "Will this be for here or to go?"

I say, "To go."

They say, "What size do you want?"

I say, "Sixteen ounces, the middle size."

They say, "Do you want whole milk or 2 percent?" I say, "Skim milk."

They say, "OK, a 16-ounce skim milk latte. Do you want flavoring?"

I say, "Sugar-free vanilla."

They sigh and say, "So, a 16-ounce, skim milk vanilla latte?" I say, "Yes."

They say, "For here or to go?"

I say to myself, "The future of the world rests on people with no attention span."

I see teenagers lined up for the film version of a classic novel or bestseller. I hear them say, "I tried to read the book, but it was, like, so not the movie."

And I think to myself, "The fate of the world rests with people who have no imagination."


Read the whole thing at The Christian Science Monitor


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...