Friday, December 22, 2006

A brown Christmas




These are the reasons for my absence of late. It's my first time to go into business and my third or fourth time to bake anything -- the first two or three forays with the oven being borne out of a Sesame Street activity book I got for my 8th birthday. There was a recipe for Cookie Monster oatmeal cookies and so I worked the mixing bowl and spatula and followed the instructions. I have a very vague recollection of that though.




The last several weeks I breathed flour and butter, baking cups and gift boxes, measuring spoons and walnuts. I think the eight aluminum pans I bought have yielded around 50 batches of lemon squares and an equal number of brownies thus far. Cookies were limited to my mom's close friends and some of my former officemates (personally, though, they're my favorite to munch on!).

Boy, have I learned a lot these past three weeks -- about the intricacies of business ventures, about refining the slicing of baked goods, even about the care of baking tools. I can say I even have a new-found respect for the culinary products of our bare hands and basic ingredients. However, as I told myself during one of those late-night mixing sessions in the company of bowls, spoons, butter, eggs and lemon juice, if I don't take care I'd easily lose sight of the Reason for the season. And I very nearly have on account of all the orders I had to produce. Now things have slowed down and I am doubly grateful.

Only 3 days to go before we again celebrate the birthday of the most important of all VIPs! I wish you all a blessed Christmas in the company of family and dear friends.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, it does look just delicious!

HLiza said...

I feel like eating those cookies..they look so yummie! 2 years ago my hubby and me had wanted to try baking as a business..we bought big oven, huge mixer, lots of high quality baking utensils and thick baking books..but something was just not right..maybe the talent is not there..we ended up selling the big oven and mixer and now I don't even have oven to bake for the kids!

sunnyday said...

Motherpie! Actually, they truly are, heehee. I sure wish I knew who "invented" brownies, lemon squares and cookies so I could thank them!

Hliza, I rather think successful baking (and other endeavors) is more about the willingness to follow instructions =) because that's really all I did. And of course the need to do research to find out what went wrong like when my cookies seemed too dry on the first few attempts. Thank God for Betty Crocker! Upon her suggestion (via my sister's cookbook), I added a couple of tablespoons of milk and the cookies turned out better.

Geez, I have been so clueless about the demands of this business, I ventured into it without a mixer. My mother brought one from the States in the 1950s but then of course it broke down already years ago. Needless to say, my right arm is much more toned now than several weeks ago! My mother, too, got great workouts from those nights of helping me with the mixing. =)

When you decide to give baking another try, do let me know! My next project is muffins -- and saving up for a hand mixer and a bigger oven.

Nadiah Alwi - Write at Home Mom said...

Goodluck on your business...and mine :D

sunnyday said...

Hi Nadiah! Glad to see you here =)

Thanks for the good wishes. I wish the same for you!

Anonymous said...

and a bigger oven.

just say so.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...