Sunday, September 24, 2006

Taste and see...

It was this photo...




...that sent me blog-hopping once again, in search of more eye candy for the heavy-reading-material-weary reader. After exploring more than a dozen blogs, I found some neat ones -- and not at all limited to visual treats only. Don't take my word for it; check them out yourself.




Have you ever seen tomatoes like these? I haven't, but that's no wonder since the market is not one of my regular haunts. Maison Dorre Trifles is a food blog with plenty of recipes and brilliant photos. That the blogger from Holland seems to travel a lot makes this blog even more fascinating.

Then I stumbled onto The Paupered Chef and found yet another brilliant picture of a red juicy tomato. The blogger was talking about tomato season and farmers' markets and why prices at these markets were higher than at the groceries, considering middlemen were out of the equation and shipping was unnecessary. I found the perspective offered by Deborah Madison quite thoughtful:

There may be more efficient ways to shop than going to the farmers' market. But the experience rewards us in so many ways that we somehow not only make time for our farmers’ markets, but we become very devoted to them. Farmers' markets have everything to do with our quality of life, from the experience of community that we find there, to the satisfaction of buying directly from those who grow our food. They also strengthen our local economies by keeping money turning within them, and they allow us to make a vital connection to our landscape, the season where we live, our local history and food traditions. Becoming devoted to our farmers' markets can deeply change us.




Anyway, this picture made my mouth water and got me all crazy for some serious steak!

You won't believe this, but as I hopped on along to another food site, there it was again -- something about TOMATOES!! Do you know that there's a Secret Tomato Lovers Society? The group actually just had its 5th Annual Dinner which included a tasting of heirloom tomatoes. First time I've heard of that...then as I scrolled further down The Food Section (the name of the site), I saw an entry titled "Heirloom Tomato and Watermelon Salad." Here's the photo:





While I'm composing this entry, I have about three food blogs on different windows, and still ready to click on endless links! But I'll never get around to posting this entry, so this food blog feature will have to end with Humble Pie, a charming site maintained by a Canadian blogger. These cinnamon pull-aparts sure look heavenly!




If you're unable to grab a bite for now, hope the mere sight of these pictures quenches your hunger and tides you over till you're able to sit down and eat!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, for the love of all that is good, please stop! I want steak now and some sliced tomatoes, drizzled in olive oil and sprinkled with salt. Ack!

By the way, love your blog.

sunnyday said...

Hahaha, it IS rather tempting.

Glad to know you like my blog; pls drop by often, michelle. =)

I'm getting a digicam soon, which means I'll be able to post with more original photos.

Have a fine day!

Sunny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...