Saturday, January 28, 2006

Pro-Life: The Choice of a New Generation



I'd like to take credit for coining that slogan on the title, but I merely saw it in a blog entry about the recent March for Life. It was one of the many signs Jewels of the Jungle saw held up by pro-lifers who turned up for the annual and biggest pro-life event held in Washington D.C. on Jan. 23.

Still a few blocks away, our first view of the march was of some tight lipped, grim looking media standing around waiting… for something. What, I don’t know.

When I came home that night I was so disappointed in the lack of coverage of the march by the media. The day was huge. Beyond anything that I ever could ever have imagined, or hoped for. I can’t even describe the incredible, awesome feeling of seeing so many people at one place at one time. It was shoulder to shoulder- spilling over the sidewalks, from the Supreme Court to the Monument and beyond that. I am not a stars-in-your-eyes optimist. I admit it. But the day of the march I dared to entertain the idea that the world was going to actually see us. That we would, for once be heard. I thought there is no way they can ignore this many people. They’ll have to take notice

And then I came home and all of my grand ideas crashed down to earth again. CSPAN covered it. (CSPAN! What sane, everyday American watches CSPAN??) Fox never mentioned it. The other stations gave it a brief, 30 second spot at least twenty minutes into their broadcasts and didn’t bring them up again. (After Abortion did a great job of covering the rally and the media coverage. Make sure you go there and then click through their stuff)


Other cool (or otherwise attention-getting) signs Jewels spotted:

Love them both! Choose life!

Justice for all: born and preborn

Abortion hurts women

I regret my abortion

Doesn't everyone deserve a birthday?

Abortion: A child can live without it


Besides this blog entry at Jewels of the Jungle, there's lots more about the March at ProLifeBlogs.

Zombie Time contains mostly photos of the Jan. 21 Walk for Life and the counter-demonstration of abortion advocates, anarchists and others opposed to the pro-life event.

At Daily Inklings you'll find more links to sources of info about the event.

Then just now, this portion of a blog entry titled "Blowing 32 Candles for Roe v. Wade" at Mommy Life grabbed my attention:

I've been on both sides of the abortion debate. As a 60's Washington radical leftist/antiwar activist, I was actually one of the founding mothers of the second wave of feminism, and a spokesperson for abortion rights. In 1976 in San Francisco, I had an abortion myself and considered it only an inconvenience.

When I became a believer, that changed, as once I truly felt God's love for me as an individual, I began to understand that if my life is sacred, so is everyone else's. No one talked me into being pro-life -- it was one of those things that changed instantaneously when I first believed.

Still, so many things have happened to show the error of the early feminists, and it has become increasingly difficult to respect women who never modified their views as things spun out of control: a million and a half abortions per year, babies dismembered/aborted who were old enough to live on their own, babies aborted for Down syndrome and cleft palate and even gender selection.

You'll find more in an article I published last year, Slippery Slopes Revisited


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...